Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are many potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors released from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Kitchener to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts in Kitchener at 519-804-1617 to learn more.