Preventing it from happening is the most critical place to start. Doing proper safety precautions will reduce your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Kitchener.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Warm up your car away from your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours going in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills as heating sources. These things are safe when operated right but can produce carbon monoxide when on for a long period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, since it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney checked by a pro. This verifies chimneys and vents are clear and connected properly.
- Confirm gas appliances are working properly, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by requesting regular furnace maintenance with Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare.