Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 519-804-1617 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.