Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Boehmers/Cronin Emery will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 519-804-1617 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.