When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Kitchener, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Kitchener or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 519-804-1617 or schedule an appointment with Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts through our online scheduler.