When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Kitchener, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Kitchener or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts through our online scheduler.