Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—troubles later. We're going to help you find out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's an issue with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's better to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.