Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being cozy in your new space throughout the year is key. However, they can create a unique challenge for contentment. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the heightened load, as it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your space comfier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your energy costs for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room typically has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a room with specific temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This may stress your system and make it wear out more quickly.
- Your comfort may be impacted. As your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is required to take care of a wider location. Your heating and cooling could be less effective, and your electricity and gas bills could become costlier due to the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new addition. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when correctly serviced. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide support. Give us a call at 519-804-1617 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.