Cooler months in Kitchener are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place during those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace may release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to prevent it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to release carbon monoxide if the system is not running correctly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Boehmers/Cronin Emery Home Services by Enercare can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 519-804-1617 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.