How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Kitchener Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is one of the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Acute poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Kitchener home?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Boehmers/Cronin Emery Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us