Spring is beautiful for a couple reasons: flowers start to bloom, you can open up windows for fresh air and your utility bill is commonly at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning on your heat or cooling.
But as mercury begins to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are a few tips for saving energy in Kitchener and keeping costs low.
1. Call for Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and trim costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy costs low.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a great time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in updated AC systems is a definite plus in keeping your electricity expenses down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on HVAC bills. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to effectively schedule your thermostat is the easiest way to lower energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and indoor temperatures, the smaller your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can try a few other approaches to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny areas.
4. Think About Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your habits and move the temp when you’re gone to help you save money. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy bills down. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 519-804-1617 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the right product for your home. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.